2013 Summer Camps a Success!

It seems just yesterday we kicked off the Girl Scouts of Alaska 2013 summer camp season. And what a season it was! With record-high temperatures across the state, campers left their cold-weather gear and rain boots at home and canoed, hiked, and explored in glorious weather not often experienced in the 49th state.


Day camp in Juneau

At summer camp, girls experience vital engagement - with themselves, their communities, and the environment. They grow in their personal skills and self-reliance, nurture relationships and develop community-living skills, and learn ways to respect and care for the environment.


Trash pickup in Kotlik

In 2013, Girl Scouts of Alaska served more than 2,500 girls ages 5-18 through our resident and day camp programs. Camps were held at 34 urban and rural locations in Anchorage and Mat-Su, Southeast Alaska, Southwest Alaska, Kodiak Island, and the Kenai Peninsula.

Because Girl Scouts of Alaska feels the camp experience should be made available to ALL girls regardless of their ability to pay, we offered assistance (up to 90 percent of the camp fee) to any girl who wished to attend camp.

Here are a few examples of what girls said they learned/gained at camp this summer:
  • "One thing I learned about myself is that I have the power to do anything." (age 7)
  • "I accomplished raising my self-esteem a notch." (age 9)
  • "I learned that looks don't define a person." (age 10)
  • "At camp, I don't feel so misunderstood." (age 11)
  • "I am grateful that my counselors taught me valuable lessons that I can use in life." (age 13)
  • "I am grateful that there are people outside my family that care for and respect me." (age 15)

A big thank you to the Girl Scouts of Alaska staff, parents, and campers for making the 2013 summer camp season a success!

Campers from the Mat-Su Lead On program

Comments